The best place to begin is by choosing what your style and this will vary on your body shape. Here are 4 different body types that we commonly come across in our stores. The biggest mistake when choosing your dress is selecting one that does not fit your body type.
I have found some celebrities in their wedding dresses that have different body shapes to give you a guide on how you can choose your wedding dress.
Hilary Duff Wedding Dress from OK Magazine
Means you have a lean body shape and the waist is not defined. Some brides would die for a body like this, and in Hilary Duff’s case she had to work really hard to get a body like this. The wedding gown she is wearing is an A line dress which focuses on your lean figure.
- For the banana shape body you will need to focus on showing the structure of your body, form fitting, that compliments and defines your body shape.
- You can appear to be curvier by wearing dresses with ruffles at the bottom
- Wearing dresses with detail will also add some definition to your body.
- Look for dresses that fit at the top and flare at the bottom
Some of the dresses in season for brides-to-be that have the banana body are
Hour Glass Shape
Love her or hate, we have to say Kim Kardashian knows how to dress her body. Kim is a perfect example of the hour glass figure that a lot of artists consider this body shape to to be perfect. The hour glass figure has curvy bust and hips but has a smaller waist. For this body type when you are looking for a wedding dress you need to look for a mermaid, sheath and ball ball gown style dress. Some of examples of dresses that would look good are:-
- Focus on showing the curves on your body by wearing sweetheart neckline, mermaid dresses.
- Because of the curvy bust, you can also wear corset top wedding dresses
- Go for soft fabrics like silk, which will drape your curves beautifully
- Try and get a dress that has a defined waistline
- If you have some areas that you would like to cover try wear ball gown with some details on the waist like the Alfred Angelo Dress above
- Go for a strapless dress if you can because it focusses on the curves on your chest
Who can forget when Jessica Simpson got married? i remember thinking that when I get married I would wear that dress. With an apple shaped body it essentially means that you are top heavy, most of the weight is stored in the abdomen area. Some dress design ideas that we think would work really well are:-
- A fitted high waist creates a beautiful long silhouette
- Lace details on the neck or the side can detract from round tummies, so try and go for the v-neck style dress
- Go for something more flowy and ball gown like, so be careful about the material that you choose in your dress
- If you are keen on short dress you can actually wear a short dress that focuses on your chest and you lean legs.
- A dress that cinches in at the smallest point on the waistline, then flares out into a gradual A shape.
Beyonce is great example of a pear shaped woman who is bottom heavy. So this means wider heaps, and a defined back. People get it wrong when they say a pear shaped woman is overweight, that is not the case. The pear shaped body is normally referred to as triangle shaped body. The best kind of dresses would be A-style and Ball style wedding dresses would be the best option for your body type. Below are some designs:-
- Look for something that will perfectly fit your top half, and you can draw attention to the upper part of your dress by wearing a dress with straps, (spaghetti, one armed
- Ruching is a secret miracle of design that makes curve-less girls look curvier and curvier girls look WOW.
- Try off the shoulder style dresses so that they are in line with your hip which gives the impression of an even body
- Keep your height in mind when selecting a dress as it may draw more attention to your hips.
Let me know what you think, hope this helps.